About Me

My photo
Easy-going person with loads and loads of dreams which would be realised soon enough. Loves to hangout with friends and respects family's wishes and expectations.

Tuesday 11 May 2010

Glass Rod went LOCO!!

 THE Glass Rod!!

This is the short story of this one glass rod found in my University's Pharmacy Project laboratory. I have no idea why it took revenge on me though I have been so loyal to it since the day I began my research project lab work a month ago. I have used it to mix various chemicals in a beaker... mostly to dissolve them in solvents like Methanol and Iso-Propyl Alcohol (a.k.a. IPA / 2-propanol / Iso-Propanol). However, it did not like me today and almost took my finger of my hand. As I was stirring Povidone K30 with IPA, this crazy glass rod snapped into two and tore my middle finger between the distal and the intermediate phalanges!! Thank goodness the cut is not that deep though blood was flowing profusely through the cut gap. Fortunately, I had my lovely girlfriend and a lab technologist to care and place the hand plaster on the wound:-) 

 The Cut (left), The Blister (right) T_T

Now the cut is kind of healing but it currently prevents me from efficiently conducting my tabletting processes - especially where hand is used to swirl the granules over the sieves with proper forces to obtain the uniform-sized granules. Moreover, due to the extra pressure I placed on my carpals area during the sieving process, an uncomfortable round blister formed there due to the abrasion. What an unfortunate turn of events today:'(

 The Floating Tablets (left), The Granules (right)

Whatever it is, I am really glad that my floating tablets turn out fine and the method to analyse the drug will be set to UV Spectrophotometry and I will get to use the newly purchased machine. Yippie!!

 UV Spectrophotometer

Wish me all the best with my research project peeps. Adios amigos!!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

broken glass rod prove that you are a strong person. haha

prathaban_svn said...

hahaha vun... maybe:P

Farith Rezza said...

wow..ur making pills! got easy access?? ;{)